[permaculture] On the pain of desiring land

Rain Tenaqiya raincascadia at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 1 14:34:11 EST 2009

I grew up with an intense hunger for my own plot of land, and was desperate by the time I had the resources to buy some.  I really identify with the lust for land of the US "pioneers" and landless peasants.  I feel that permaculture, in its current form, does a disservice to those seeking land by playing down the difficulties of marginal land.  It is true that a lot of land that is currently considered marginal can be coaxed into producing yields for satisfying vital needs, but only with more work, money, time, energy, and other inputs than prime farming land.

On the other hand, it is less likely that permaculturists would create dustbowls, because our practices are diametrically opposed to such outcomes.  We don't like tilling, bare soil, and overirrigation or unsustainable water use, and we like mulching, perennials, appropriate earthworks, etc.

Rain