[permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] book review Genetic Glass Ceiling]

Toby Hemenway toby at patternliteracy.com
Tue Dec 1 14:24:12 EST 2009

> As the world's population rises to an expected ten billion in the next
> few generations, the challenges of feeding humanity and maintaining an
> ecological balance will dramatically increase.

There's that old, tired paradigm again, stuck in circular logic (and
since when have we been "maintaining an ecological balance?"). We are
using oil to produce food far beyond what a solar budget could, to feed
more people than can live within the Earth's carrying capacity, so the
answer is . . . ta-da! find ways to produce yet more food. Gotta feed
those billions, no matter what. Problem is, those billions, when fed,
will just breed additional billions. Do you think that's going to end
well? Or do we just put off facing that music till our watch is over? It
is limits to resources that sets normal limits to population, but we
just can't stand the idea that there are limits, so we'll use any
technology we can find to get around them. If "the main crops have
topped off in their ability to increase" then maybe it's time to back
away from "more, more, more" as the paradigm.

I'm a former geneticist, and all the evidence I've seen shows that
genetically engineered products (called transgenic now to get around
GE's bad associations) use more energy to grow. You can't get around the
laws of physics: if you pack more genes into an organism, it takes more
energy to make them work. So just how are transgenic crops supposed to
produce more food? I suppose by using more fertilizer. Uh . . . see the
problem? And so far, the industry has a lousy track record, as all the
products created so far are just ways of getting proprietary control
over crops, not of feeding the hungry. (I once heard a Cargill scientist
refer to a strain of Indian rice as "raw germ plasm," as though the
breeding work of 400 generations of farmers meant nothing, but changing
one gene meant that Cargill owned it now. But then, Cargill had lawyers,
and the farmers didn't)

So lemme get this straight: the same people who destroyed crop diversity
with a "one seed fits all" approach are now going to sell diversity back
to us, with traits of their choosing and varieties that they own? Yeah,
I trust them to do a good job with that.

At some point we're going to have to accept that the Earth's human
population has to come down. And could GE have "ecological benefits?" I
am sure that genetic manipulation could do all sorts of things to
domesticated plants, but if it's being done with the same old
mindset--and GE can't be done any other way--we'll continue to create
the same kind of ecological problems that industrial civ always has.

Rant, off.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com