[permaculture] what about lubrication?

Toby Hemenway toby at patternliteracy.com
Fri Mar 28 22:58:17 EDT 2008

So Brazil imports about 62 million bbls a year of oil; that's hardly "no
oil." And a little googling shows that Brazil produced about about 700
million barrels of oil in 2007, so they are as oil-dependent as the rest
of us. They produced 21.3 billion liters of ethanol, or, I think, 133
million bbl for the year, which means they are using five times as much
oil as ethanol. I assume they use petroleum for lubricants.

Dave Blume's book, people tell me, is great on how to make ethanol (I'm
not qualified to judge), but he does exaggerate (polite word) in his
numerical arguments. As one example, he argues that demand for ethanol
isn't the reason corn prices are going up, using some suspect numbers.
Blume wrote that "only 7.5 % of US prime cropland is used for growing
corn," out "1.5 billion acres."  But the whole US is only 2.3 billion
acres. To arrive at his 1.5 billion acres of "prime cropland," you have
to include ALL farmland, all rangeland, and all forests, leaving out
only desert (700 million acres) and cities. To say that parched
rangeland and mountainous forest is "prime cropland" is, well,
stretching things. In truth, corn uses 92 million acres, or about 25% of
the 380 million acres of all qualities, not just prime, that the USDA
says is planted to crops. So although oil costs are boosting corn
prices, demand for corn ethanol is a huge factor too. Similar
statistical stretches can be found elsewhere in the book.

So I'd be very careful about quoting Dave's arguments without doing some
checking. As a manual on small-scale ethanol, people say his book is
outstanding. I'm sorry to see an otherwise excellent book marred by
dubious arguments that are easily exposed.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com