[permaculture] what about lubrication?

Harmon Seaver hseaver at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 12:22:42 EDT 2008

trevor william johnson wrote:
> i just saw david bloom speak on a youtube video and he said that
> brazil imports no oil what so ever.  what about lubrication oil for
> the engine?  how can we make this out of renewable resources?

    There are a lot of synthetic oils on the market today, and, in fact,
if you love your engine, you should be using them rather than petro oils
as they are much superior, reducing friction and heat. That's not to say
they are made from all renewable sources, but it's a start.
    Also, biodiesel works great for two-stroke lubrication -- the gas
mix in chainsaws, etc. Canola oil works great for the bar/chain lube in
chainsaws, except when it gets too cold.

--
Harmon Seaver