[permaculture] Korean nut pines

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Thu Mar 27 02:15:36 EDT 2008

Some years ago the Society of Ontario Nut Growers reported that its
members had had great difficulty in growing Siberian nut pines in
southern Ontario due to the specialized root fungus required, but that
growing Korean nut pines seemed to be practical. I have seen a reference
to acidifying soil for Korean nut pines.

Of the following list,you will note that the nursery with the largest
collection and the greatest degree of specialization in nut pines offers
a range of fungus inoculants.

See
http://www.songonline.ca/nuts/nut_pines.htm

http://www.nuttrees.com/edible.htm

http://www.oikostreecrops.com

http://www.burntridgenursery.com
(this nursery seems to be more optimistic about soil requirements than
some others, which I find does not inspire confidence)

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada