[permaculture] fruit tree propagation

mIEKAL aND dtv at mwt.net
Wed Mar 26 21:02:08 EDT 2008

I usually get a lb bag of seeds of PA Golden paw paw seeds from John
Gordon.  You'll get a lot more genetic variation establishing
seedling populations but then that's what I'm looking for.  Here's
his contact info.

John H. Gordon Jr.
1385 Campbell Blvd.
Amherst, NY 14228-1403
(716)691-9371
nuttreegordon at hotmail.com
www.geocities.com/nuttreegordon/0maiLst8.htm Catalog as by Mail 2008
www.geocities.com/nuttreegordon/0Kitems8.htm Order Form-Plant List 2008
www.geocities.com/nuttreegordon/0Kgordon.htm Nursery & Descriptions
Grower of nut, pawpaw & persimmon
trees for Western NY climates
Located on NY Rte. 270
4 mi. north of Rte. 263
midway between Buffalo & Lockport

~mIEKAL

On Mar 19, 2008, at 7:04 AM, Mathew Waehner wrote:

> A friend of mine has transplanted wild pawpaws successfully.  He
> started
> with young trees, unearthed the sucker and slowly injured it so
> that the
> young tree was forced to rely on its own roots over the course of
> weeks,
> then he dug deep to injure the taproot as little as possible.  Even
> with
> great care, the success rate was low.
>
> It would be great to rescue these wonderful trees, but it would be
> much
> easier and possibly less frustrating to buy some.  I just ordered
> pawpaws
> from Oikos tree crops- their prices are great and they have tons of
> forest
> garden and native American heirloom crops.  http://oikostreecrops.com
>

> On 3/18/08, Brooks Miller <brooks.devin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> has anyone propagated paw paws?  i have a stand on some public
>> land nearby
>> that suckers like crazy.  last fall i dug out one of the suckers and
>> looked
>> at a few others, and they all seem to have a very strong, woody
>> taproot.
>> there are tons of them in the area, and they're nearby a grass
>> trail, so
>> the
>> ones on the edge simply get mowed down every summer.   i've read
>> that the
>> most successful way to propagate  paw paws is through grafting,
>> but i have
>> no rootstock to begin with.  anyone have any hints on propagating the
>> suckers?
>>
>> also, i'm trying my hand at some hardwood cuttings of nanking cherry,
>> blueberry, currant, and a few nut trees.  i have softwood cuttings of
>> hardy
>> kiwis as well.  i was going to try rooting hormone, but i'm fairly
>> inexperienced with woody plant propagation.  any tips are welcomed.
>>
>> i'm looking for a good source of ribes and medlars, too.
>>

>> brooks
>> Google command to search archives:
>> site:http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/permaculture searchstring
>>

> --
> Matt
>
> This is our grace: To be a note
> In the exact chord that animates creation
>
> -- Deena Metzger
> Google command to search archives:

24/7 PROTOMEDIA BREEDING GROUND

JOGLARS CROSSMEDIA BROADCAST
(collaborative text & media)
http://www.joglars.org

SPIDERTANGLE
International Network of VisPoets
http://www.spidertangle.net

XEXOXIAL EDITIONS
Appropriate Scale Publishing since 1980
http://www.xexoxial.org

INTERNALATIONAL DICTIONARY OF NEOLOGISMS
research | reference | ongoing collection
http://www.neologisms.us

Dreamtime Village
Hypermedia Permaculture EcoVillage in Southwest Wisconsin
http://www.dreamtimevillage.org

"The word is the first stereotype."  Isidore Isou, 1947.