[permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 62, Issue 33

Harmon Seaver hseaver at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 16:39:31 EDT 2008

  Comfrey is extremely hardy, you don't have to wait for a frost free
date, I don't think. We've had comfrey growing like crazy up by Grand
Marais, MN for 30 years or so. I think it's pretty hard to kill outside
of using nukes. Why don't you just put them on the southside of the
house for now?

Andrew French wrote:
> Thanks for the info on the Cabbage Maggots, now onto the next question...
>
> I purchased a few comfrey roots (russian) form horizon herbs. When I got
> them there was no info provided so I stored them in  my fridge like I do
> hops rhizomes. Then a little later I contacted HH and the owner said I
> should plant the comfrey right away, so the next morning I went down into my
> basement and planted them in whatever pots I had and some potting soil. Now
> they are growing quite fast in my basement sans any light. I wonder is this
> okay, or will they grow too spindly without sun? I don't have much room in
> my place to put them with any sun exposure. Also, would they freeze if I put
> them outside? I am in zone 4a in Minneapolis, MN. I want to help these
> plants thrive but they are growing fast and my last frost date is in May.
> What the hell should I do?
> Google command to search archives:

Harmon Seaver