[permaculture] oops - Cabbage Maggots cont'd

Dieter Brand diebrand at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 25 08:37:40 EDT 2008

I had been worried that the soaking of the transplants may have a
  negative effect.  After all, water-logging is generally considered as
  undesirable.  The other day, I soaked some cabbage transplants,
  but then was too busy to plant them.  They have been soaking
  for two weeks now and the leaves still don't seem to show any
  sign of deterioration.

  I would be careful with tomatoes, they have a tendency to
  develop fungus problems when it gets too wet.

  What is this business about the black appearance of water in infrared?
  Is this some kind of test you do?

  Dieter Brand
  Portugal

Jay Woods <woodsjay at cox.net> wrote:
  This is the second use of flooding of a new planting to handle pest problems
that I've run across this month. It looks like an interesting technique also
to cut down on transplant shock. I'll be trying it on tomatoes and pumpkins
this year. Also it will be interesting if the black appearance of water in
the infrared translates into faster warming of the soil or gets more than
offset by faster water evaporation.

On Tuesday 25 March 2008 03:49:45 am Dieter Brand wrote:
> That sounds like an interesting experiment.
>
> I grow my cabbages as transplants in a peat-based substrate in seed
> boxes. The cabbage moths like to lay their eggs into the loose substrate.
> This used to result in losses of 50 or more percent. Now I submerge the
> lower part of the transplants for a couple of hours in a bucket full of
> water before planting. This kills the maggots and has reduced the losses to
> zero.
>
> If you have loose and crumbly soil around your young cabbage plants, this
> may well be the reason for the problem. The solution could be to mulch
> heavily or to paste some wet clay onto the soil around the plants to deter
> the moths from laying their eggs.
>
> Dieter Brand
> Portugal
>

> Andrew French wrote: Does anybody have any experience with controlling
> cabbage maggots? I want to grow Rutabagas in MN in zone 3b and evidently
> they are a problem there. I've read that ladybeetles may help.
>
> Andrew French
Subscribe or unsubscribe here:
Google command to search archives: