[permaculture] oops - Cabbage Maggots cont'd

Dieter Brand diebrand at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 25 04:49:45 EDT 2008

That sounds like an interesting experiment.

  I grow my cabbages as transplants in a peat-based substrate in seed boxes.
  The cabbage moths like to lay their eggs into the loose substrate. This used
  to result in losses of 50 or more percent. Now I submerge the lower part of the
  transplants for a couple of hours in a bucket full of water before planting. This
  kills the maggots and has reduced the losses to zero.

  If you have loose and crumbly soil around your young cabbage plants, this may
  well be the reason for the problem. The solution could be to mulch heavily or to
  paste some wet clay onto the soil around the plants to deter the moths from
  laying their eggs.

  Dieter Brand
  Portugal

Tracy Dee Cook <tracydeecook at yahoo.com> wrote:
  oops - meant to save that last email as a draft email and accidently sent it - arg

short story is I planted the cabbage by a knee high allium and the cabbage closest to the allium kept the cabbage moths at bay. the cabbage I had planted near to the oregono plant still attracted a moth

might be a stretch for your rhutbagas - but I intercropping showed good results at my place

Also, This resource guide might be helpful for this question or others similar,
IPM Integrated Pest Management http://www.entomology.umn.edu/cues/

Includes bug pictures and info

Take care and let us know how it goes!
Tracy
Tracy Dee Cook wrote: Hi, Andrew - I'm here in Minnesota too.

I tried an experiment last summer and had interesting /good results

I planted 3 cabbage just to see if the cabbage moths would come

Andrew French wrote: Does anybody have any experience with controlling cabbage maggots? I want to
grow Rutabagas in MN in zone 3b and evidently they are a problem there. I've
read that ladybeetles may help.

Andrew French
Subscribe or unsubscribe here:
Google command to search archives: