[permaculture] Boycott the Olympics ....

Dieter Brand diebrand at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 20 05:20:56 EDT 2008

Linda et al.,

  I absolutely agree, this is not a war between Tibet and China. That was 58 years
  ago when 40,000 battle-hardened troops of the Chinese army overrun Tibet killing
  most of the badly equipped men of the 8,000 strong Tibetan army.

  What we are talking about is genocide and the question of whether we are going
  to condone genocide by participating in the Beijing Olympics like the World
  participated in Hitler's Olympics in 1936.

  What we are talking about too is the fact that China was awarded the Olympics
  on the condition that it respect human rights and freedom of press. Both are
  being violated by the Chinese authorities more than ever:

  All foreign journalists and tourists have been expelled from Tibet and other regions
  where Tibetans live so that the Chinese security forces can go on killing unarmed
  civilians without any witnesses. Thousands of protesters have been imprisoned
  without trial. In Beijing, people are put on trial behind closed doors for having
  expressed their opinion on the Internet like we do it all the time. Each one of us
  would be in prison if we were Chinese.

  China is perpetrating one genocide in Tibet while sponsoring another genocide in
  Darfur/Sudan to secure badly needed oil supplies.

  This will be the Genocide Olympics.
  Happy and fair games to all who have the stomach to face it.

  Dieter Brand
  Portugal

Linda Shewan <linda.shewan at bryn.com.au> wrote:
  Wait a few months - they've been waiting for decades... every time they try to get news out to the world about what is happening there, they get slaughtered, as is happening now.

If the Tibetans do not get an international hearing now ie. while China has international focus and may be feeling slightly pressured politically through hosting the Olympics then they have no chance - as they have had for over 50 years. Warring states are very different to ethnic cleansing don't you think.

This attitude of

'the poor athletes have trained so hard for this, lets support them'

as opposed to

'the Tibetans have been killed and tortured and had their basic human rights denied for over 50 years, lets support them'

highlights one of the real issues in our world. Athletes/sports people (and actors and singers also) are considered more important than everyone else - we make them out as kings and have all news taken over by their concerns - while the real world and real issues are swept under the rug.

South Africa only shifted their policies because of international pressure, with sports being a major factor. China has so much power we watch all the world leaders acquiesce to their requests because they don't want 'trade' to be affected. The Olympics is the only chance for the Tibetans. They need a chance, and they need our support.

Linda