[permaculture] China & Tibet BBC NEWS | UK | Wales | Vietnam war photojournalist, Philip Jones Griffiths, dies

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lflj at intrex.net
Wed Mar 19 20:35:08 EDT 2008

J. Kolenovsky wrote:

> Those G D Chinese need to leave those Tibetans alone before Higher Power
> steps in.

"I wanted to show that the Vietnamese were people the Americans should be emulating rather than destroying."

BBC NEWS | UK | Wales | Vietnam war photojournalist, Philip Jones Griffiths, dies
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/7305468.stm>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/08/in_pictures_philip_jones_griffiths_/img/7.jpg
Many of Griffiths’ photographs focus on the effect the war had on the civilian population. Speaking to the BBC in 2005
he said , "I wanted to show that the Vietnamese were people the Americans should be emulating rather than destroying."

Following the Vietnam War Griffiths worked in more than 120 countries including Grenada following the US invasion in 1983.

Philip Jones Griffiths often returned to Vietnam and in 2005 he published "Viet Nam at Peace" a 25 year study exploring
the long term consequences of the war.

In a statement the current president of Magnum Photos said: "Philip enriched all our lives with his courage, his
empathy, his passion, his wit and his wisdom; and for many he gave to photojournalism its moral soul." Photo of Philip
Jones Griffiths by John Giannini.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/08/in_pictures_philip_jones_griffiths_/img/11.jpg

Griffiths’ pictures captured American soldiers struggling to survive in often hostile territory. His colleague at
Magnum, Henri Cartier-Bresson, said of his work, "not since Goya has anyone portrayed war like Philip Jones Griffiths."