[permaculture] biofuels

Harmon Seaver hseaver at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 08:24:18 EDT 2008

trevor william johnson wrote:
> where did you get this info. can you please send a source.

   I did -- "Alcohol Can Be A Gas", by David Blume.
http://www.permaculture.com
   It's a big book, with pretty complete info on every aspect of alcohol
fuels, from choosing and growing the feedstock, fermenting and
distilling -- both big and small operations, and all an intrinsic part
of a permaculture operation. Also complete info on using alcohol for
fuel, converting engines, etc.

> trevor
>
>>     No, it is making ethanol and running the diesels on a
>> ethanol/biodiesel mix. An unmodified diesel can run 80% ethanol/ 20%
>> biodiesel. Slightly modified diesels -- usually just adding an extra
>> head gasket to lower the compression ration to 18:1 or less allows you
>> to use almost pure ethanol with just 1%-2% biodiesel to provide the
>> lubrication for the injection pump and help with ignition. Further
>> modification can turn a diesel into a super efficient ethanol
>> engine --
>> such as adding a distributor and replacing the glowplugs with
>> sparkplugs
>> and replacing the injectors and pump with propane injectors, then
>> heating the ethanol so it vaporizes.
>>     Ethanol is very high octane fuel, so it needs a compression
>> ratio of
>> at least 14:1 to burn efficiently. 16:1 is much better.

> Google command to search archives:

Harmon Seaver