[permaculture] Tibet Update: Boycott the Olympics ....

Dieter Brand diebrand at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 18 15:27:29 EDT 2008

Charles,

  Sometimes I’m glad that I am too old to run much risk of having to witness that Brave New World of yours at first hand. The Chinese have always been very smart trades people and can outsmart Anglo-Sachsons at the capitalist game without much effort. The Olympics are a way of establishing their respectability, it is a PR event for the communist establishment. That is why the protests need to focus on the Olympics.

  You are right that the US and European governments do not want a boycott, they are already under the influence of Beijing. But you and I are not. We can make a choice and we can make our voice heard.  We don't risk our lifes like those brave souls in Tibet.

  It is not about bringing Chinese industry or the Olympics to a halt; there is very little chance of that happening. It is about sending a clear message to the butchers of Tiananmen and Lahsa, a message clear and loud and in unison. Let them know that we don’t forget.

  Neither is this against the Chinese people. The Chinese people is deprived of freedom and human rights just as much as the Tibetans. In fact, the one conditions the other.

  It is about respect for human dignity and for the cultural identity of a people, about human rights and freedom and it is against apathy in the face of brutal suppression. It is also about giving non-violent action a chance and about rejecting cynicism.

  Dieter Brand
  Portugal

Charles de Matas <cdematas at hotmail.com> wrote:

Why all this increase in interest in human rights in Tibet now? Just because it's an olympic year and people want to embarass the chinese and call for boycotts? The US empire is on the decline. What nation will fill the void and become the new world empire? When one empire falls another one inevitably rises. The US filled the void of the declining spanish empire in the new world. After the decline of the british empire, the US also became a major economic power. Once the chinese learn to play the capitalism game well enough they will become the new world economic superpower. Boycott if you want, millions of people around the world are still going to buy their cheaper clothes, gadgets and other products. That's globalisation and free markets. The US and EU are unlikely to call any kind of official boycott. A lot of chinese financial reserves are in US currency. The chinese can easily inflict severe damage on the US exchange rate by switching to another currency. The
chinese can boycott also.

Charles.
Subscribe or unsubscribe here:
Google command to search archives: