[permaculture] Coconuts & permaculture

Charles de Matas cdematas at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 17 13:52:24 EDT 2008

Belize (and Bahia) are places that I would like to visit some day.  Unfortunately the time of your PDC's are not convenient for me.  My mouth begins to water when I think of the sapodillas that you must be getting in Belize now.  Last week I bought a few sapodillas from a roadside vendor and he told me they were imported from another caribbean island, St Vincent.  That's the stage we have reached here in Trinidad and Tobago, having to import sapodillas.  We are importing practically all of our food, even the fruits that we can be grown locally.  This is due to the rapid "development" that is going on in the country. The same thing is happening in Venezuela.  They are importing nearly all of their food and the poorer people are facing unbearable food prices.
   Anyway, what is this cabruca syle of cacao production?  I'd like to learn more.  I'd also like to learn more vanilla as a cash crop.  Is it very labour intensive?

Charles
T&T