[permaculture] Used cooking oil vehicles

Jenny Katz jennykatz at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 11 20:02:04 EDT 2008

Britt,

I'm in northern CT; two years ago I bought a 2002 VW Jetta and had it
converted (greasecar.com; they recommended a mechanic who did the
conversion for me). I get my oil from a Japanese restaurant in Hartford.

Honestly, while I love the idea of running on trash, and while many
other people have had very smooth experiences, I've had a frustrating
time. Partly this is because I jumped in too fast: I don't know
anything about cars myself and have yet to make the right friends. It
sounds as if you wouldn't have that problem. I also think my car is a
bit of a lemon: I've had to have a lot of repairs made, some fuel-
related, some not. About a year ago, in fact, I had to have the fuel
pump and some other stuff replaced, and the bill set me back enough
that I've been scared to run WVO since. The other problem: Most of
the driving I do is very short-distance--say, to the kids' school and
back--so during the cold months, the car doesn't even heat up enough
to switch from diesel to veggie oil.

I'm hoping to get a my filtering system more refined this summer and
have the system cleaned out--and then maybe things will go more
smoothly. For the moment, I console myself with the thought that I
have at least introduced the concept of alternative fuel to this
fairly conservative suburban mom-town.

Jenny

On Mar 10, 2008, at 1:21 PM, permaculture-request at lists.ibiblio.org