[permaculture] carbon sequestration

trevor william johnson john2116 at msu.edu
Tue Mar 4 15:41:20 EST 2008

This past weekend i attended the organic conference in east lansing
michingan.  the keynote speaker was Tim LaSale who is the CEO of the
rodale institute.  he presented on research that quantifies the
amount of carbon sequestered in the soil by using sustainable/organic
techniques along with a tool called the roler/crimper to create a
mulch on the top of the soil from the winters cover (i saw vetch and
rye used).  the crops are then planted through the mulch with a no
till seeder/transplanter.  the numbers were as high as 1500 pounds
per acre.  he suggested tat the government should create a program
that pays farmers to use these techniques and sequester carbon rather
than sell whatever they are growing for less than the cost of
production through subsidies.    he was really inspiring and i am now
going to create my own version of the roller crimper to use in a 2.5
acre community garden i participate in.

Regarding Pimental,  LaSale quoted him a few times but not for data,
just for conversations about the roller crimper.  i have found
pimental to be a double edges sword in sustainable ag.  i have seen
his ethanol research and read what he has to say in regards to coal
and it is clearly crap.  However just like an allelopathic plant like
the black walnut...nothing is all bad or all good and pimentel
clearly has two distinct faces on sustainability.  does anyone on the
list know pimental and is willing to comment on his character?

trevor