[permaculture] The Five Stages of Financial Collapse

Toby Hemenway toby at patternliteracy.com
Sun Mar 2 14:32:00 EST 2008

Harmon Seaver wrote:
> You need to read his more comprehensive work on the USSR's collapse

Thanks for summing all Orlov's verbiage up! I could see he had written
on the USSR collapse elsewhere, but was responding to what he said about
the role of centralized control--not what he'd written elsewhere. Orlov
is engaging, but I don't find him a clear enough thinker to want to read
much more. But I'm in total agreement that Russia has a social system
far more amenable to local community that does the US. However, I've
seen community build quickly in US cities when it needs to. My
neighborhood pushed well-armed gangs out in the 80s, for example. You
just don't use guns to do it, or you lose. Gotta think permaculturally.
>    I don't think he gets it wrong. We already have close to a million
> empty homes, and the subprime mess is just getting started.

Actually, it's two million. There's a ridiculous surplus of housing in
the US.
http://www.nowpublic.com/money/over-2-million-empty-homes

By "empty homes" I meant houses that people had been kicked out of.
Orlov wrote:

    Financial collapse, as we are are currently observing it, consists
    of two parts. One is that a part of the general population is forced
    to move, no longer able to afford the house they bought based on
    inflated assessments, forged income numbers, and foolish
    expectations of endless asset inflation.

He's missing the point. He is implying there is giant surge in
homelessness, and there isn't. Googling for numbers tells me less than
10% of empty houses are from people "forced to move." The other 90% are
empty because the speculators who bought them can't sell them, or
because the resident homeowners could buy a new place more easily than
they could sell the old one. Orlov is blaming the house buyers when, I
think you'll agree, the cause is the finance and real estate industries'
policies.

What concerns me is the trillions of dollars that are chasing the next
big bet. It was stock in the 90s, then real estate and emerging
economies, and now it's commodities. The rise in oil and grain prices is
primarily from a hot market for futures in those commodities, since
commodities--basic needs--are being seen as a haven for investors. If
the rich want to drive up stock prices, fine, but now they are driving
up the price of food just to get richer. That's a recipe for chaos.
Also, at some point soon they will run out of markets to pump up, and
all that paper money, which needs to flip quickly to keep growing, even
to exist--will disappear, since it's not based on anything real. That's
the real financial collapse that looms. Don't hold cash, bonds, or stock.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com