[permaculture] A 69.9 MPG Diesel Hybrid -Coming Soon from VW

tom tom at honeychrome.com
Sun Mar 2 08:40:26 EST 2008

I find it hard to be very impressed with this announcement.   I have
a 1966 Volvo that I manage to get 30-32 mpg (and have yet to put an
overdrive transmission that I have in it, which hopefully will give
me another 2-3 mpg).  It is a very simple vehicle, practically no
plastic, but easily keeps up with the pace on the road these days.
Of course the emissions from the tail-pipe are significantly worse
than a 2008 vehicle, but a new(er) vehicle is well beyond my economic
means, and alas I suspect one will remain so.  Still- 42 years and
vehicle economy has only just doubled?!  That is a pathetic amount of
advancement compared to the gains in so many other areas.  No doubt
the laws of thermodynamics dictate limits to what can be achieved,
but c'mon!