[permaculture] Zero farming, anyone?

Dieter Brand diebrand at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 29 17:56:25 EDT 2008

Suraj,

I'm not from India, but I'm interested in Natural Farming or Zero Farming, as you call it.  I think the term Zero Input Farming, more descriptive, may be easier to understand.  I do practice this on the garden scale and run trials on a small scale farming scale.  However, due to climatic conditions it has been difficult to implement on the farming scale.  I haven't had any external input, fertilizers etc. for over 5 years.  I still do make some compost from plant residues, but mostly I use mulching and in-place composting.  I'm not aware of any commercial farm practicing Natural Farming.  Yield is likely to be a problem, especially if the soil has been much degraded by conventional farming.  It takes years to improve a degraded soil to the point where it is possible to grow food "naturally" with a reasonable yield.

I would be very much interested about what is happening in this respect in India.

Dieter Brand
Portugal