[permaculture] beehive in my compost pile

Kevin Topek ktopek at att.net
Fri Jun 20 12:57:13 EDT 2008

Paul,

The swarm may be Africanized Honeybees, since they have a habit of
nesting in the "ground". Just be careful and don't run a lawnmower
next to them. If they become overly aggressive, have a beekeeper
either remove or destroy them. Africanized Honeybees can be managed
relatively easily and are not as susceptible to CCD as other European
and Asian honeybee species. Best of luck!

Kevin Topek