[permaculture] beehive in my compost pile

Paul Kosuth prkosuth at ll.net
Thu Jun 19 12:54:57 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I have some bee's and a hive in one of my compost piles which I found a
few days ago when getting some mulch to spread. The hives are just
below the surface, the individual cells are ovoid with an entrance on
the top end. The bee's started to spiral out from the hive yesterday
when I tried to dig from the opposite end of the pile with a couple of
them following me out from my compost area. I have other piles to use
so its not critical that I get at this pile. Should I leave them alone?
Will this be a problem that can get out of hand? They look cool and I
like observing them. They come out like hidden commandos from the pile
and then return and cover themselves up again when they return. there
are a few entrance holes to the hive as well.

should I be concerned about this? Are there any sites where I can learn
a bit more of this?

Thanks in advance.

Paul
southern Illinois