[permaculture] rainwater and potability in large cities

Guilherme Neves Castagna guilherme at permacultura.org.br
Tue Jun 3 18:51:10 EDT 2008

Saludos ermanos,

    Jody T put up a question on whether rainwater could be safely used
for drinking, and more. Question that comes up to my mind is, suppose
I'm in Tokyo, New York, Mexico City, or Sao Paulo (cities with over
10million ppl), what will the rainwater drops collect along the way that
will turn it inadequate to human consumption (other than the drop in
pH)? Heavy metals, sulphur dioxide, what else? Has anyone tested
rainwater for potability in similar situations? Can I eventually turn it
potable through the use of reed beds, sand filters, and the like? Some
friends of mine live in Sao Paulo (Brazil) and are devising alternatives
to the impending failure on the public water distribution systems, and
rainwater is their only option.

    I sincerely appreciate your comments on this topic...

Cheers!

--
Gui Castagna - Design Ecológico
fone/fax: +55 (12) 3832-1476