[permaculture] testing soil for toxins

jordan at riseup.net jordan at riseup.net
Sun Jun 1 23:08:57 EDT 2008

Hi Calliope

This is Jordan Fink in Portland... Talk to Rodney at growing gardens...
they have a good deal on soil testing.

What kind of project are you doing?

-Jordan

> Hello,
> I'm working with some other gardening activists here in Portland, OR to
> plant some food producing gardens in urban areas where there is
> now nothing or something not edible growing. We have our eye on some
> sidewalk median spaces which has got us thinking about the soil
> potentially having toxins. I read somewhere (Toby?) that this is usually
> the case in cities.
> Does anyone know of soil test kits that will test for heavy metals,
> petroleum, etc? Or does this sort of thing have to be sent to a lab? If
> so, does anyone know of labs that would work with us on this without the
> cost of this testing becoming the challenge that makes these new garden
> spaces not feasible?
> Thank you,
> Calliope
>

> If you want to read the mystic story written in your future
> You better start to write it now...
>

> ~Gaia Consort~

> Google command to search archives:

"The seeds in our consciousness can function like anti-bodies.  What is
important is that you continue to plant new seeds, the kind of seeds that
are both refreshing and healing.  And if you just do that, by practicing
mindful living so that you can be in touch with the flower, with the
cypress tree, with the fresh air, with the beautiful eyes of the children,
then these seeds will be planted in yourself, and they will naturally take
care of the seeds of your suffering.  You don't even have to touch them.
And that is something I think the practice of Buddhism can contribute to
psychotherapy in the west."         -   Thich Nhat Hahn