[permaculture] testing soil for toxins

Calliope Star calliope_star111 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 1 22:52:56 EDT 2008

Hello,
I'm working with some other gardening activists here in Portland, OR to plant some food producing gardens in urban areas where there is now nothing or something not edible growing. We have our eye on some sidewalk median spaces which has got us thinking about the soil potentially having toxins. I read somewhere (Toby?) that this is usually the case in cities.
Does anyone know of soil test kits that will test for heavy metals, petroleum, etc? Or does this sort of thing have to be sent to a lab? If so, does anyone know of labs that would work with us on this without the cost of this testing becoming the challenge that makes these new garden spaces not feasible?
Thank you,
Calliope

If you want to read the mystic story written in your future
You better start to write it now...

~Gaia Consort~