[permaculture] Homegrown Evolution blog on the ethics of raising chickens - Boing Boing

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lflj at intrex.net
Tue Jul 29 23:06:47 EDT 2008

<http://www.boingboing.net/2008/07/29/homegrown-evolution-1.html>
Boing Boing - A directory of wonderful things
Homegrown Evolution blog on the ethics of raising chickens
Posted by Mark Frauenfelder, July 29, 2008 3:26 PM | permalink
scratching-hen.jpg

On his blog, Erik Knutzen, co-author of the terrific self-sufficiency guidebook,
The Urban Homestead,
http://www.boingboing.net/2008/06/23/the-urban-homestead.html
writes about the ethics of raising chickens in the backyard for eggs.

Eric pointed to "Why I Farm,"
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/2007-02-01/Why-I-Farm.aspx
a Mother Earth News essay by Bryan Welch, with this provocative quote:

     I get a lot of laughs watching my animals figure out their lives and I get pretty sad when it’s time to kill them.
I have a lot more death in my life than I did before. And, ironically, that’s part of the reason why I feel like I have
a lot more life in my life. That’s why I farm."

Both Erik's blog post and Welch's essay are worth reading for anyone thinking about raising livestock at home. I'm
almost finished with my backyard chicken coop,
http://www.dinosaursandrobots.com/search/label/chickens
so this was especially interesting to me.
An Omnivore's Dilemma (Homegrown Evolution)
http://www.homegrownevolution.com/2008/07/omnivores-dilemma.html