[permaculture] Vampyroteuthis infernalis - Vampire Squid from Hell (3200 Feet Under Sea Level)

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lflj at intrex.net
Mon Jul 21 17:03:35 EDT 2008

Really amazing and unique.

Check out its defensive clouds of phospholuminescent particles
and its two eyelike large light-emitting organs, photophores

Vampyroteuthis infernalis - Vampire Squid from Hell (3200 Feet Under Sea Level)

Added:  June 05, 2007  (Less info)
Unfortunately, I can't find the exact name of the original film but I found out who the producer of the original film
is: National Geographic, online at:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/

My French version is "Creatures des abysses" and it was aired on "Tele-Quebec".

The song is "The big clapper" by "Two lone swordsmen" on their album "Stay Down" (1998).

ABOUT THE VAMPIRE SQUID:
Vampyroteuthis infernalis, lit. "Vampire squid from hell") is a small, deep-sea cirrate cephalopod found throughout the
temperate and tropical oceans of the world. Unique retractile sensory filaments justify the Vampire Squid's placement in
its own order: Vampyromorphida. It was first described and mistakenly identified as an octopus in 1903 by German
teuthologist Carl Chun. More info at:
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_...

ABOUT ITS ENVIRONMENT:
3,281 FEET: Bathypelagic zone. 1 Km = 100 atm = 1,470 psi.
The ocean is dark at this level; the only glow is from bioluminescent animals. There are no living plants, and creatures
subsist by eating the debris that falls from the levels above (aka "marine snow"), including dead or dying fish and
plankton. More info down to 36,201 feet (pression : 8.07 tons per square inch!!!) at:
- http://planktonforum.org/viewtopic.ph...