[permaculture] nitrogen-fixing trees in temperate climes

Lisa Rollens rollens at fidnet.com
Fri Aug 8 23:38:14 EDT 2008

Thank you, Rain, for your reply.  It was as I expected.  I just couldn't see
any reason for N2 fixing trees not fixing nitrogen in temperate climates.

I, too, like black locust trees and have planted 75-100 each year for the
past several years.  This has been on a hillside, with the plan to use them
for coppicing for firewood.  However,  I have been thinking of planting them
among my young orchard trees thinking that maybe the locusts will help keep
frost damage from being so bad.  Maybe I should use elaeagnus (autumn olive)
instead???  The fruit trees are mostly standard size, so maybe taller black
locust would protect them better?  I don't know, am just thinking out loud.
Well, ok, in type!  Any feelings?

I wasn't familiar with the "silk tree" that you mentioned, and so looked it
up.  Mimosa!!  Around here mimosas are VERY invasive!  As a matter of fact,
I have them coming up all over from the stick mulch I use.  I will read more
about them and see if they might be useful, too.  Thanks for the idea!

Lisa, also big on planting trees!