[permaculture] A Global Cultural Revolution

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lfl at intrex.net
Sat Jun 30 20:06:53 EDT 2007

Tommy Tolson wrote:

> I offer my thoughts in the belief that discomfort, especially ethical
> discomfort, is a healthy alternative to ideological certainty."

> Have enough of us "grow[n] up through self-reliance and personal
> responsibility" to pull off a global cultural revolution?

Hopefully one that does not beat plowshares into swords and engage in mass eradication of grain-eating
sparrows, as was done in a cultural revolution in the 20th century.

But first, this must stop and when the dumbed down American public wakes up and takes a stand, maybe
some progress will be made:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/06/30/afghan.attack/index.html
" NATO, Afghan officials probe report of civilian deaths
     * Allegation from mayor of Gereshk, who investigated attack near Hyderabad
     * Mayor reports 120 to 130 people killed, including women and children
     * NATO's ISAF also investigating to determine if any civilian casualties
KABUL, Afghanistan (CNN) -- The U.S.-led coalition and the Afghan government are investigating reports that as many as
130 people, including women and children, were killed Friday in an attack by coalition forces in southern Afghanistan's
Helmand province. <>..> This report comes one week after Afghan President Hamid Karzai accused NATO of "the
disproportionate use of force" following an incident in which he said dozens of Afghan civilians were killed in the town
of Gereshk, which is near Hyderabad."

I just can't believe this. There's more to the situation in Afganistan and it has to do with lack of collaboration with
Afgan leaders in the use of their recommendations for avoiding civilian casualties.

Bob Waldrop: I'd like to hear a brief comment from you about this.

There's way more to this business of a global permacultural renaissance (TT's GCR). Like the cultural renaissance of the
60's, mostly in the US but across the globe. Search the archives; you'll find my comments on preservation and
stabilization of 3rd world indigenous cultures and all aspects of them. Look at the photo archive links I posted.

We do need a permacultural and agricultural renaaissance here in the US, from the grass roots of the country to the top
levels of society.

As Paul suggested the new Permaculture Wiki, focusing on documenting guilds for now, is the perfect place to peer review
permaculture designs. I would really like to see this develop. A running journal, free form, as a blog would be a great
place, as this list is, for concept development and random news - maybe a good place for political discussion. I just
remembered, blogs are the thing now, especially the political ones.

Keith Johnson for president
Tommy Tolson for vice president
Bob Waldrop for secretary of state
I'll take charge of the agriculture department

interesting downward cascade, just a humor break to cut through the void
LL
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm