[permaculture] No-till potatoes - surface cultivation and deep mulching

Dieter Brand diebrand at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 27 18:07:01 EDT 2007

Claudia,

  I didn’t know that you can grow sweet potatoes above the ground.
  Can you explain how it is done. And how are the Japanese
  sweet potatoes different from other sweet potatoes. I used
  to live in Japan, but didn’t do any gardening then.

  Dieter Brand
  Portugal

Claudia Joseph <permie at earthlink.net> wrote:
  I had a problem with japanese sweet potatos - they were bitter.
I had heard that they do well in sand but I used compost and straw in
the above ground cage because I had it.
Also, some that I picked earlier were sweeter. The vine was
extremely vigorous and dark green.
Anyone know the specifics?

Claudia

wrote:
> We use old hay, tucking it up around the plants as they grow so just
> a few inches of leaves peek out, leaving some in flakes, and shoving
> some down between the stems as they get large. I toss on weeds from
> other areas too. We grow in beds and the mulch gets 2' high, might
> be harder in rows. It eats up several bales for 100sgft. I bury the
> seed potatoes barely below the soil level (clay), the potatoes grow on
> the dirt-mulch boundary and if the mulch isn't think enough, the
> potatoes get green. We don't seem to end up with weed problems using
> old hay for potatoes (but then, this is all drip, no rain). When
> potatoes are harvested the mulch is reused on winter crops.

Subscribe or unsubscribe here: