[permaculture] PERMACULTURE & RODENTS

Laurence Gaffney lgaffney at bigpond.com
Tue Jun 26 19:41:36 EDT 2007

As the Fruit & Nut Trees we have planted as part of the Implementation of a Permaculture Design start to commence producing we are finding that Rodents (mice/rats)  have increased their numbers significantly.

Most of the Nuts ( particularly Macadamia & Pistachio) are taken by them before we get to them. Most of the fruit they seem to like too though we still get some.
Vegetables also (particularly Pumpkins) are on their menu too.

They seem to like making homes in mulch.
We have been told that we have a Snake deficiency; perhaps even an Eagle deficiency also.  (We do have both)
We do not have a cat and are not all that keen on getting one
.
The proportion of produce going to Rodents is currently probably about 50/50 but is trending rapidly in their favour.
It is a question of Balance I guess.

Any thoughts out their on:-
1.   The role of Rodents in the Permaculture System.
2.   Assessment of Ecological Balance.
3.   Mitigation.

Laurence Gaffney
Coolish Temperate Australia