[permaculture] No-till potatoes - surface cultivation and deep mulching

Lisa in Oregon lisamaciver8 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 26 19:42:26 EDT 2007

We use old hay, tucking it up around the plants as they grow so just
a few inches of leaves peek out, leaving some in flakes, and shoving
some down between the stems as they get large.  I toss on weeds from
other areas too.  We grow in beds and the mulch gets 2' high, might
be harder in rows.  It eats up several bales for 100sgft. I bury the
seed potatoes barely below the soil level (clay), the potatoes grow on
the dirt-mulch boundary and if the mulch isn't think enough, the
potatoes get green.  We don't seem to end up with weed problems using
old hay for potatoes (but then, this is all drip, no rain). When
potatoes are harvested the mulch is reused on winter crops.

Lisa in Oregon