[permaculture] Where the political discussion goes

lbsaltzman at aol.com lbsaltzman at aol.com
Tue Jun 26 19:01:14 EDT 2007

I have run into something interesting on politics and the anti-war movement that might be relevent. I have a friend who is a Vietnam Veteran and anti-war activist. He was one of the driving forces behind what is called Arlington West in Santa Barbara, Calif., the community where I live. Arlington West is where the crosses were set up to comemorate the dead soldiers from Iraq, and it has been an effective anti-war tool which has spread to other cities.  Anyway, my friend is also a sustainability kind of person and has sold Cheramoyas and other fruit to the local community. It is all produce that is grown in his backyard orchard.  He has been pushing the anti-war progressives to connect oil, and sustainability as a way to stop the war. He is advocating that reducing demand for oil by encouraging people to adopt a more sustainable lifestyle will do a lot to end the war in Iraq. Interesting enough he is running into huge resistance amongst other Vietnam vets, and amongst anti-war folks in general when he raises the connection between oil and the war. His notions on promoting sustainable living as a tool to reduce oil usage and thereby reduce the need to conquer countries like Iraq that are rich in oil resources.

So here we sit on a forum on Permaculture arguing about, and discussing politics and its relevence to Permaculture. I am wondering what we can do to connect with, and spread the message of sustainability, to the many anti-war progessives and the social justice activists who don't connect the dots.  Some do get sustainability, but many others do not and are narrowly focused on ending the war or other worthy progessive goals.  I even know a social justice progessive who is fighting hard to pave over the last local farmland in my community with low cost housing for the poor, not thinking about what the poor will eat when the oil gets to expensive to ship food from afar.  I would suggest that in discussing politics there is more to be thought about than just national politics.   The lack of awareness of sustainable living seems to cut across the political divides at least in the U.S.  There are liberal and progessives who are clueless about sustainability. I remember convincing a member of Earth First to plant a tomoato plant. he had never planted anything in his entire life or grown anything he ate, instead he bought packaged food while fighting the bad guys who hurt the environment.  Conversely, while there are conservatives who don't get sustainability, there are members of the Christian right who have developed the concept of creation care and who are strongly beginning to get sustainability.

So if Permaculture is to integrate politics, I think we need to think through the issues in dealing with all parts of the political spectrum and I don't think it will be an easy chore.

Larry Saltzman