[permaculture] defining permaculture

roxann roxann at ancientearthwisdom.com
Sun Jun 24 22:05:32 EDT 2007

Hi Tommy,

I too practice shamanism, though not in formal ritualistic manner I once did. Part of me is high-tech geek (environmental scientist, metals analyst) and the other part of me is very much connected with the earth. So, I go to work each day and satisfy the nerdy part of me and come home each evening to immerse in Nature. I speak to the mountains on my way back down our six mile dirt road. I relish in the embrace of the hills, hugging close to me as my little car winds deeper and farther away from society. And believe it or not, the trees and the mountains and the rocks, and the rabbits and roadrunners and beavers all speak to me in their own way. This is not special, they speak to anyone - what is special is that I hear and respond, I think. Eventually, I think I would like to have both feet in the natural world and leave the high-tech world behind.

something else i thought of after I hit the send button earlier is the way an ant will herd aphids for thier sugary exudations. if the aphids grow too many of themselves, the plant it feeds on will die. much the same way i think we can allow ourselves to herd cattle, sheep, or goats and if we are discerning at our job, we can maintain a balance and not kill the plant, or planet. I am not so sure the ants have much discernment, as I have had several plants die from too many aphids before. But if balance prevails, the ladybugs will help out :)

I think the world will turn itself around eventually. Of course she will. What I am not so sure of is how humans will fare when all is said and done. We all just have to do whatever we feel is the best we can do, at whatever it is that we are doing. You gave me a very stimulating question earlier and I thank you for it because it helps me to further define my direction here. Any church you participate in will be lucky to have your questions and direction in organization!

Roxann