[permaculture] crabgrass eradication

Linda Shewan linda.shewan at bryn.com.au
Sun Jun 24 05:18:41 EDT 2007

Hi Dieter,

I can't remember what this thread started with - ie.  what your ultimate
use of the land is but I was just listening to Malcolm Rand the founder
of ecostore in NZ (link to Kiwi radio on www.ecostore.co.nz)

Kikuyu is a huge problem in NZ and he got rid of 2 acres of it by
planting acacia dealbata at quite close spacings. The dense shade and
large amount of leaf drop produced by these really rapid growing legume
trees resulted in the kikuyu being completely shaded out within 4 years.
He then cut down the acacias when he was ready to plant another tree in
it's place.

Could this work for you - no type of grass grows strongly in shade does
it?

Linda (Kiwi in Aus)