[permaculture] Urine-resistant plants

Marimike6 at cs.com Marimike6 at cs.com
Fri Jun 22 13:53:59 EDT 2007

The one class of plants I've found don't respond well to being peed upon are
the conifers-- cypress, fir, pines, hemlock and the like. They turn yellow and
lose their needles in fairly short order.

Other than that I think those urban environments-- alleys near bars, say--
that get lots of adventitious pee share a second problem that may be much more
devastating to the flora... compacted ground. Wherever you get a lot of foot
traffic you quickly get down to the broad leaved plantains, lambs' quarters and
beggars' lice. And after that... bare dirt.

Break up the ground routinely, whenever it gets well compacted. Then plant
nothing. Those weeds that quickly fill the space will, by definition, be
comfortable with a urine soaked environment.

Michael