[permaculture] Bermuda grass, options, etc.

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lfl at intrex.net
Fri Jun 22 12:29:28 EDT 2007

Don Titmus wrote:

> Bill talks about the appropriate use of technology. some chemicals are toxic
> and residul others not...depends on the "Half" life. Folks use pyrethems and
> Kill aphids, natural yes toxic to some animals YES. So the delemer is what
> has least impact for the most effectiveness.
>
> so now to the "G" word...gylphosphate salts, You cannot get emotionally
> locked up to not use a good tool because it has been abused by idiots.  I

People get plenty emotional about use of herbicide; look at the companies that manufacture them
and their environmental record.

Anyone who would use synthetic chemical weed killer casually without looking for natural alternatives is an abuser and
an idiot.

The only possible exception justifying use of this material is to eradicate poison ivy
in residential yards when no other method is practical or possible and when there is a real safety issue.

> say "Lets ban the chain saw" we have global deforestation therefore its the
> chainsaw that need banning!!!  Stupid  !!!

Who are you calling stupid?

> Use the right tool the correct way and have "Least effect for the greatest
> yeild".
>
> So use Glyphosphate and follow with Compost Tea and Accumilators, hot
> compost the material and your field is clear in one season, all chems are
> gone and can be followed by a crop

Before you suggest that people go out and get some glysophate (which they are not likely to be able to do, so then they
go get the other abominations instead and use them) and use it to kill plants, instead of squarely facing the prospect
of having to do "labor intensive" activity, why don't you do a little research on glysophate and its effect on living
things and the environment.

I can't believe anyone would suggest using synthetic weed killer in this forum, when for years people have offered
perfectly useful natural alternative methods of weed control and eradication.
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm
lfl at intrex.net