[permaculture] TED

Keith Johnson keithdj at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 22 12:08:41 EDT 2007

Stumbleupon led me to this fascinating site with videos of many leading
edge folks presenting on *Technology, Entertainment, Design*. The annual
conference now brings together the world's most fascinating thinkers and
doers, who are challenged to give the talk of their lives (in 18
minutes). *The TED Conference*, held annually in Monterey, is still the
heart of TED. More than a thousand people now attend --- indeed, the
event sells out a year in advance --- and the content has expanded to
include science, business, the arts and all the big global issues facing
our world. Over four days, 50 speakers each take an 18-minute slot, and
there are many shorter pieces of content, including music, performance
and comedy. There are no breakout groups. Everyone shares the same
experience. It shouldn't work, but it does. It works because all of
knowledge is connected. Every so often it makes sense to emerge from the
trenches we dig for a living, and ascend to a 30,000-foot view, where we
see, to our astonishment, an intricately interconnected whole.

Seems like an opportunity for Permaculturists with great slide
shows/videos to make a case.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks

I enjoyed the following talks:

        Tierney Thys swims with the giant sunfish
        <http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/126>

        Stewart Brand on squatter cities
        <http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/123>

        Blaise Aguera y Arcas demos Photosynth