[permaculture] Urine-resistant plants

yarrow at sfo.com yarrow at sfo.com
Thu Jun 21 02:38:24 EDT 2007

At 1:24 AM -0400 6/21/07, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
>Revised list:
>
>daylillies
>peppermint
>daylillies
>lambs quarters
>amaranth
>curly dock
>comfrey
>Jerusalem artichoke
>horseradish
>collards

I agree with the collards, but I doubt most of the perennials can get
big enough soon enough, and I think it might be hard to find some of
the weedier ones in the city -- unless you can ask your local
freecyclers if you can dig up established plants.

Since the need is to cover up the soon-to-be-condemned crumbling
foundation ASAP with greenery and to provide a substrate for
inevitable urination this summer, I'd go with tomato, squash and
collard plants. You can buy seedlings (from 6-packs to 1-gallon) in
any local nursery now and, assuming your soil is adequate, have them
reach a pretty good size within a month.

Whatever you plant, it won't be able to withstand a lot of abuse
until the roots get going (at least a couple weeks or over a foot or
so high), so you will have to coddle them in what sounds like a
difficult situation at first.