[permaculture] Urine-resistant plants

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lfl at intrex.net
Thu Jun 21 01:17:53 EDT 2007

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

> Nathan Czuba wrote:
>

>>Greetings,
>>
>>Any suggestions for plants that can tolerate being urinated on often?
>

> Johnson Grass, Curly Dock, Lambs Quarters (they could whizz upon them then pick a few leaves at the top to eat as a
> tonic), Amaranth, Pennsylvania Smartweed, Liriope (large broadleaf).

Mike suggested mint. Peppermint can grow 4 feet tall with extensive root systems; it seems to be more vigorous than
other mint varieties. Add daylillies; heavy root systems, water tolerant, edible blooms. I think I would try a
combination of peppermint, daylillies, lambs quarters, Amaranth, Curly Dock and Liriope. Get one of those stainless
steel livestock watering troughs with drains. Not expensive, available from Tractor Supply. Pick the size you need, fill
it with good, high organic matter content dirt, rock dusts, some rock phosphate and put in your plants and seeds. Place
a layer of harvested, dried plant stems in a mat at the bottom of the container with your soil mixture on top. This will
provide a little extra soil aeration, good for the plants.

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm
lfl at intrex.net