[permaculture] Infeasible power fantasies (Was: Energy-EnergyPolicy-Bioregional Design-The Sustainability of Biofuels.US.FL)

Trudie Redding tredding at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 20 12:57:41 EDT 2007

Hi Tommy, windows don't face south, the south needed for solar. Roofs
face south. If you are talking about a highrise covered with windows
facing south, ok. A regular one story house, too much shadow from nabors
etc. Battery banks are fine for those in the country, but presently
cities want you to tie into their grid.
Separately, battery groupings must be kept cool and must be well
maintained or they will not last for long. In this climate, the
batteries themselves have to be kept air conditioned!
There is a large learning curve to having battery groupings use and
function safely.
I hope some people will use this new technology.
Hopefully it may be something someone sprays onto the glass in the
course of manufacturing. Sounds like a scary item if you just used it
like hairspray. I remember having a solar powered calculator that lasted
12 yrs. Oh I get it, you are talking about light technology. It took me
awhile but light was used to power the calculator.
Trudie