[permaculture] BodyPolictic-Political Humor-Congress Votes to Outsource Pres

Sean Maley semaley at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 19 10:19:30 EDT 2007

Tommy Tolson <healinghawk at earthlink.net> wrote:My point is that those preaching the non-political path avoid politics no more than anyone else. You don't avoid politics when you

 Well said.  I use an assessment of control mechanisms to make my own judgments.  I like to put slack in the rope to observe intent.  After seeing a person lay down traps and take up my bait, I start setting my own traps.

In a positive direction, we should always begin with personal responsibility.  From there we must test each proposal with the three ethics.

For instance, we know that people shouldn't "own" land, as it takes many people to honor the land.  Therefore, land trusts become integral to the discussion of organizing any people interaction with the land in an "ownership" climate.

There are various microclimates of land trusts and not all political climates necessitate them.  However, where appropriate, a trust allows the control point to move from one person to many (a "trust" in my climate is simply a liability umbrella, or corporation, for "property", as in currency, real estate, and other stakes in things of "value").

Since "property" will be picked up by the "state" as "taxable", there are various ways of dealing with this.  However, most taxes in my climate are assessed through "wages" ("wealth" compensating "labor").  This leaves taxes on "land" relatively low.  Therefore, more "wealth" can be reinvested in the land if "wages" can be captured in a sink.

Capturing "wealth" in this climate requires a "charity".  A charity, here, merely means a corporation that benefits and is supported by more than just a few people and isn't limited to a specific "class" of people ("persons interested in Permaculture" verses "persons who took the PDC").

In this climate, there is still a requirement to "earn" money to pay taxes, but the most effective way involves first having a charity that benefits land and people.  One can then work towards the minimum tax level as a basement "wage" or "business activity" requirement.  The surplus from making a living can then be sunk into the charity.

In the USA, start with IRS Form 990 to decide if you have enough support to start a charity.  You can also go to the guidestar.org web site to look through 990 forms already filed or search for existing Permaculture charities (48 results).  Then decide who meets the ethical needs for where you live.  If none exists, consider a new charity to meet this need.

Remember the difference between peer-to-peer and service oriented networks.  I envision a peer-to-pear Permaculture mutual support network/charity.  Somebody still needs to operate the charity, so remember to organized it in a way that doesn't create control points (pass around and share legal/accounting responsibilities equally around the network, etc).

Are we all on the same page for the next steps?

-Sean.