[permaculture] Where are they?

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lfl at intrex.net
Mon Jun 18 23:46:59 EDT 2007

Andrew French wrote:

> I took some time to read some of the past issues of this listserv and
> realized how crazy some of the posts really were. The Martins and Kenneths
> are just plain trolls totally disrupting the normal flow of info that a list
> like this could have.  It pisses me off cuz I was going to cancel my
> subscription about a week ago, but then I got too busy to do so. So seeing
> some irritation with these irrational posts made me at least hang on for a
> bit.

Thanks a huge amount for not unsubscribing, Andrew, and for offering your assessment of the problem with trolls;
and especially to Tommy Tolson for ID'ing that creepy jerk early on.

> So. Thanks for banning them, and we should figure out a really easy policy

They will not be back, ever, and others like them won't get near this forum.

> to keep their ilk at bay. Like, five posts attacking another poster and
> you're out? Or, when you're obviously mentally unhinged you can only post
> once?

Something like that. We should be self-maintaining as a group. Anyone can feel empowered to
warn an instigator of a flame war. If they keep at it anyway it will be obvious that they should be removed.
I usually give them some latitude to show they mean well and will continue this policy but will be a lot more wary after
the Ken Experience.

> Like I said in an earlier post, obviously the practical and political
> aspects of permaculture need to be addressed. But when we start to converse
> about theory and opinion, we get caught up in stupid ego tricks.

Posts with political content should be tolerated but when they are crass, overt political
propaganda with no permaculture overtones then these should and will be disallowed.

LL
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm