[permaculture] New subscription procedure:

Loren Davidson listmail at lorendavidson.com
Mon Jun 18 23:46:04 EDT 2007

>OK, I got no email from this person letting me know who they are so
>I decided to try something new
>with the subscription process. All those who do not follow the
>required procedure will have their request forwarded into
>the list for all of you to deal with, find out who they are,
>recommend them or otherwise decide whether they should be
>allowed into the forum or not.
>
>If list consensus is to not do this I will not continue and just
>delete those requests without further action.

Frankly, I don't like either of the above options.

I don't understand why you feel a need to do this. Other than not
knowing immediately who, on the entire Internet, might be joining an
international list about Permaculture, what's the problem you're
claiming to attempt to solve?

People with a valid interest in Permaculture *do* occasionally turn
up without any prior acquaintance with anyone on the list. And unless
we're discussing stuff of a much more personal and intimate nature
than 98+ percent of the posts on here would indicate, there's really
no justification to turn this into a "buddies only" list.

And some people get righteously annoyed if, while attempting to
subscribe to a list like this, they get asked, "Who are you and who
sent you?" And won't answer, and I think rightly so. Because it's
none of anyone's business.

Mailman *will* let you set up subscriptions so that a person has to
verify their email address, by responding to an autobot mail, before
their sub becomes active. This process will screen out spambots and
the like, and requires absolutely no moderator intervention.

If you're concerned about people acting in non-friendly manners
toward one another, then Mailman lets you send a Welcome message.
Work out a basic code of conduct - "rules for the commons," as it
were - and let people know that one violation will get them warned
and a second might get them removed. I have samples of things like
this floating around that work exceedingly well on other
international and regional Mailman-hosted lists, available upon
request.

Since you're asking for opinions, that's mine. Switch over to
auto-verifying of email addresses, come up with a set of "rules for
the commons" that people agree to follow as a condition of being on
the list, and just deal with the occasional fugghead as they crop up.

It's the "remove individual unwanted plants (weeds) when they crop
up" approach, as opposed to the "pre-emergent herbicide" approach,
IMNSHO. And "letting the system do the work for you."

Just my $0.04, adjusted for the price of oil.

Loren