[permaculture] Permaculture designs for small towns?

Michelle Maggiore mmaggior at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 18 10:39:58 EDT 2007

I am aware of  deisgns for urban and rural homesteads, and intentional communities as well as community centers, but I am interested to hear if people on this list have had experience with reviving small towns (populations of 1000 or less) with permaculture design. Our small town is currently undergoing an unfortunate (and  some think unnecessary) re-design, including cutting down  all the trees that had lined  the streets so that all power and overhead lines could be "sunk", to make it look more like Williamsburg, VA. Presumably, the tourists are going to flock here after the work is done, because it will be so attractive, but during the course of the work in the past year, 80% of the businesses have either left or died. There must be someone on this list who has seen similar situations and been involved in remedying the situation?
Any information, resources and tips are greatly appreciated....
many thanks~
Michelle in VA

SUSTAINABLE SCOTTSVILLE
Creating sustainable options right here at home:
www.sustainablescottsville.com