[permaculture] BodyPolictic-Political Humor-Congress Votes to Outsource Presidency!

Robert Waldrop bwaldrop at cox.net
Mon Jun 18 09:08:59 EDT 2007

At my runningonempty2 conversation, there is a
constant temptation to proceed immediately to the
"downward dystopic spiral of die-off" (e.g.
www.dieoff.com ) in our rhetoric.  The existing
calamities, and those coming at us, are so
enormous that they can be profoundly depressing
and alienating.

I always caution against that, however.  It's not
that I am admiring my pretty pink rose glasses
that tint my view of everything.  Rather, it's
that I believe profoundly in the power of
self-fulfilling prophecies.  Indeed, they are the
best kind of prophecies qua prophecies, because by
definition they always come true -- they are
self-fulfilling.

I do, however, think that we should be careful in
selecting which prophecies we choose to
self-fulfill.  It is evident from human history
that events often turn on surprisingly small
happenings.  Outcomes can't always be predicted
from current trends.  A small amount of rock dust
can have an amazing consequence for yield.

Which is why, even with all I know about the
potential for dieoff, I am not in a rush to
embrace it, and I am certainly not going to
self-fulfill it as a prophecy.  I like telling
scary stories around a campfire as much as anyone
else, but most of my time I spend planting seeds,
organizing local food systems, learning and
practicing permaculture, etc. The prophecies I
work on self-fulfilling are those of a managed
descent.  I am not building my rural retreat for
me and mine and to hell with the rest of the
world.  I remain in the middle, literally, of
Oklahoma City, a metropolitan area of 1 million.
Over the last 3 years I have cut the BTU use of my
household by 50%.  I organized a food coop that
only sells local foods, and amazingly now we have
1200 members and move tens of thousands of dollars
of locally produced groceries every month. (
www.oklahomafood.coop ) Wearing another hat, we
distribute 150,000 pounds of food free of charge
to about 9000 people each year in central Oklahoma
who are without incomes or transportation.  That
started in my living room, now it has its own
warehouse.  The food coop started with one message
to a listserv.  In May, people from 8 states came
here to learn how to duplicate our system.

Will it be enough?  Not today, but tomorrow and
the day after are their own stories.  As they say,
it's not over until its over.

Bob Waldrop, OKC