[permaculture] greenschooling

Primal Parent primalparent at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 18 02:37:34 EDT 2007

first off, sorry for any redundancies and for the delay but here are what i
consider the most pc-relevant links for schooling:

the one thing i recommend above all other is getting carolyn nuttal's food
forest and food forest resource sheets. they are excellent. i think they
were both under $40 including shipping from australia. she's doing a lot
with "learnscaping"

robin clayfield's manual for teaching permaculture creatively has a chapter
on teaching children through games and active involvement. wonderful stuff.
http://www.earthcare.com.au/edu/

heather coburn flores book 'food not lawns' (chelse green) has a chapter
called 'the next generation' with tips and ideas for working with kids.
she'd doing some kick-ass work and we should all support her

in the same vein i also recommend sharon lovejoys 'sunflower houses' and
'roots, shoot, buckets, & boots'. though not technically "permaculture"
there both a lot of fun.

patty parks-wasserman is working on the institute of permaculture education
for children at 78 el rey drive corrales, n.m.
patty has been very supportive of the childrens permaculture resource
network and i look forward to working with her in the future.

robina mccurdy ran the (now defunct) childrens permaculture foundation from
1989-1994
i believe she wrote a small article on 'pc for children' in the vol.3 #1
feb. 87 issue of permaculture activist (which i believe is still available).
i think she's doing more ecovillage-community oriented work nowadays

salli ramsden and tania strebl presented  'zone c: a place for children' at
he 6th ipc. supposedly salli was working on a comprehensive list of
publications suitable  for pc in schools.
http://www.rosneath.com.au/ipc6/ch05/ramsden/index.html

i believe joanne tippett has done some work in this area. holocene.net

jacqui hunter might be of some help as well huntergd at chariot.net.au

fiona campbell and ross grayson compiled the amazing 'permaculture goes to
school..." in 1997. i'd be more than glad to send you a copy.

dr. charlie headington wrote teaching permaculture in a school garden.
interesting montessori experiment.

robin c. moore wrote 'children gardening:first steps toward a sustainable
future' robin does a lot of work with landscape architecture and childhood
development.

some past discussions archived:
pc in schools -
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/permaculture/2006-January/022836.html
curriculum for children -
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/permaculture/2002-July/015300.html
workbook for children -
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/permaculture/2006-December/025475.html

gardening with children has some useful links
http://www.canh.asn.au/community_gardening/sa-cgkit-Gardenin.html

edible schoolyard in berkely, ca http://www.edibleschoolyard.org/garden.html

specifically for kids:

elpels 'shanleyas quest' is sort of a 'botany in a day' for young readers.
wonderful. available from hollowtop.com

graham burnett drew a brilliant little zine called 'our allotment'.   i make
copies and hand them out to random kids whenever  we go to festivals and
fairs. you can find it at  http://www.spiralseed.co.uk/

april's got three stories for children on her front page at
http://permaculturevisions.com/

another little zine is 'the abc's of permaculture'  coloring book where each
page has an edible plant  and pc terms for each letter (i.e. c is for
comfrey, chicken tractor, chamomile, compost, companion planting, etc).
copies available from me.

lost valley education center in oregon hosted a kids permaculture day camp
in 2006. worth looking into

here is a website called Perma-Kidz. some neat stuff kids might like.
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Jungle/6700/permakid.html

finally, there are dozens of sources for slow-foods in schools, edible
landscaping, and farms to school cafeteria programs that are worth hooking
up with.

as far a permaculture goes that's about it, not a lot for kids. which is why
i started the CPRN. the bibliography could go on for days (especially if you
include general ecology books) but i would definitly include some nature
awareness/primitive skills to the curriculum. but perhaps that's for another
thread...

best of luck,
roman