[permaculture] Shit

Tommy Tolson healinghawk at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 18 00:36:14 EDT 2007

dwoodard at becon.org wrote:
> I have been told by those who experimented with built wetlands in the
> Niagara Peninsula of Ontario several years ago that the effluent is close
> to drinking water standards. They cannot handle industrial sewage, only
> residential.
> The gravel used to absorb phsophate has to be renewed every 50-100 years.
> It can be used as fertilizer.
>
> Maybe there is more than one type of built wetland? These people used the
> term "artificial marsh."
>
> Doug Woodard
> St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
>
> ******************************

My understanding of a built wetlands is a normal septic tank with a pump
installed in the second chamber. When the contents are high enough, they
are pumped into a rock and reed bed.  Reedy plants pull nutrients from
the water, leaving it pretty clean, then it runs out into a pond
situation where it supports wildlife and perhaps agriculture.  I've
heard, too, that water coming out of the r&r bed is near drinking
quality.  Some build greenhouses over the r&r beds to keep the reeds
growing all year in colder areas.   But there's still the septic tank to
be dealt with.   /Solviva/, I think, talked of flushing toilets into a
worm box, from which the water came out clean.  That seems better than a
septic system, but I don't see many places allowing a permit to build
such a thing under the current system.

Tommy Tolson
Austin, TX