[permaculture] Crabgrass, Bermuda grass, etc.

Dieter Brand diebrand at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 16 05:57:52 EDT 2007

Many thanks to all who replied in this thread. Apart from crabgrass
  and Bermuda grass, there is also Kikuyu Grass. We are blessed with
  all three of them. Among the 3 methods for controlling this type of
  grass:

  - applying lime,
  - spreading partially decayed wood mulch
  - growing rye or ryegrass,

  I like the rye or ryegrass best, since it permits to grow new biomass
  in the process. I actually had some patches with rye and ryegrass in
  the winter, so far they seem to be free of crabgrass, but the real test
  will come in the summer.

  I also noticed that places with plantago lanceolata and plantago maior
  (plantain) are free of crabgrass, but I don’t know how effective they
  are for combating this type of grass.

  Dieter Brand
  Portugal