[permaculture] Driver Ticketed for Using Biofuel

lbsaltzman at aol.com lbsaltzman at aol.com
Fri Jun 15 13:57:30 EDT 2007

I certainly think what they did to this person stinks. But I want to raise a question about his or her actions. Is buying oil for a car that is meant as human food actually sustainable and a good idea? It is one thing to use recycled cooking oil and it is another thing to use new cooking oil.  I am somewhat dubious about growing fuel crops altogether.  With time and effort perhaps this can be done sustainably on land not well suited to crops, but the way we are going all that is happening is that food prices are being driven up and rain forests are being cut down to feed cars not people.