[permaculture] Bioregional Governance-Strategies-US.FL.PinellasCounty

Paul Cereghino paul.cereghino at comcast.net
Thu Jun 14 23:01:41 EDT 2007

>My question to the group is: Has anyone worked with developing effective
>organizational tools sets to move a specific bioregion in a sustainable
>direction? Has anyone had experience with actually defining the
>bioregional boundaries in a specific location?

In the Puget Sound, planning mandated under the Endangered Species Act
has required multiple local jurisdictions to develop meta-governmental
organizations to plan and implement species recovery planning.  While
the ability of those plans to affect the underlying causes of salmon
decline are easy to question, they are focused on major river
watersheds, and could arguably be the nascent framework of bioregional
governance.  Salmon recovery planers both issues of land use, habitat
management, and water management.  Now there is some interest in Puget
Sounds as a whole.  The issues that are causing the systematic
deterioration of our estuary are better defined by groups of watersheds
that drain to a shared basin of our inland sea.  In both cases a
particular issue that has been able to create a tax-based revenue source
creates a shared constituency.  I'd suggest that the basis for
constituency matters more than the boundary -- the boundary can either
serve or undermine the purpose.  The constituency urge is born of the
'godhead' of the people, not a designer... just as a permaculture
designer captures the structures and processes of places, but does not
create them.

In terms of organizational tool sets, I think there is a boundary
between constituency politics and advocacy politics... with advocacy you
cause trouble, with constituencies you regain control over power.  The
most powerful interest groups gain power by adopting a constituency...
property rights groups speak for the defensive private homeowner.   Gun
manufacturers speak for the fearful constitutional advocate. etc.
Constituency self-determination is the noble and elusive goal.

When you say organizational tool sets do you mean tool sets for for
people manipulating organizations, tool sets for people who are in
organizations, or tool sets through which organizations consciously
manipulate themselves, or tool set for people that want to create
organizations?

Paul Cereghino